Some things from May:
• We finally checked out the Hoyt Arboretum; we walked from the visitor center to the rose garden because since this time last year I have been dying to see it again. There was not a rose to be seen yet (thanks, long, wet, cold winter), but there were lots of other pretty flowers.
• In doing some pet cemetery research, I found out about Jones Cemetery (not for pets) not far from our house, so of course we had to visit.
• A second try at Mount St. Helens! This time we went to the visitor center in Castle Rock, learned a lot, and walked a nice trail around Silver Lake. Now we just have, like, two more spots to try (Forest Learning Center and Johnson Ridge Observatory?).
• GWENNIE! I’ve had my Wagonner for a year and a half and still never really driven it because it has so many problems. Shortly before my birthday, I mentioned to Nat that I think I should commit to selling it this summer. He seemed way more bummed than I thought he’d be… and a few days later he let me know that he’d been trying to get it fixed up for me in time for my birthday. So we drove it around a couple weeks later, and it still won’t idle without shutting down, but we gave it its first deep scrub at the car wash since we’ve had it and it kind of looks like a dream.
• Some backyard blooms, always blowing my mind. This year seems even better than last, in some ways.
• A gorgeous day at Indian Beach, which I really don’t think we had been to since September?! The road had to be closed again in the winter due to weather damage. It was so nice to be back, and to hike across the rocks to the more private beach. Later that day in Astoria I got Morrissey’s face tattooed on my arm. My mom is pretending it didn’t happen!
Some things from May:
Posted June 1st, 2017 in: Photo Journal
This was three weeks ago now! I turned 28, Nathaniel got me the most amazing cake from Petite Provence, we had sparkler candles, and our backyard finally started to bloom (it is b a n a n a s right now 😍). Nat and Johnathan and I got a hotel in Astoria, and we checked out the fort at Fort Stevens, which is way cool! I can’t believe we’d never been there before, with how often we go to the park. The whale on the beach was buried shortly after we saw it back in March, but it resurfaced. It’s been a really amazing thing to see at all these stages of decomposition.
We went back to Astoria yesterday for something special, but that’s something for another time 😜
See all photos from April here
Posted May 22nd, 2017 in: Photo Journal
On a drive back from Salem last month, I saw a sign on the side of the highway advertising Ag Fest, and even though we had plans that for weekend (the weekend of my birthday) Nathaniel saw my eyes light up at the idea of looking at and petting baby animals, so we made time for it, too. It was pretty amazing. I finally got to see the grave of the Wonder Cow at the fairgrounds, and we watched chicks hatch and sheep get sheared, and we laughed at a bunch of these hilarious animal balloons. I didn’t get my chick fill, though, so we did end up going to the feed store to pet and hold little babies a few days later ?
Posted May 15th, 2017 in: Photo Journal